[linux-audio-user] More noise I made

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon May 16 20:25:43 EDT 2005

james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

>There's a link to the music and a piece of drivel about how I work at
>http://blog.dis-dot-dat.net/
>
>Comments are, of course, lusted after.
>
>Thanks for the load of your ears.
>
>James

hey james,

finally got around to listening to some of your tracks, and i'm glad i
did ;)

creamcheese, especially, is really beautiful - the melodies you riff on
here map out some good places in my soul, places one doesn't get to
visit too often ... sorta reminds me of the same happy melancholia that
was in the piano piece gerard depardieu's character wrote in greencard
... or some movie ... also, the pastoral side of warp records. i like
the mix on this, too ...

bang is a nice change of pace. the first minute does sound quite muddy
though - the bass, i think. is that some sort of comb filter you've got
on the drums (?) from about the 1:00 mark? sounds really cool. from this
point, too, the levels are a lot better - not as muddy as you fear on
your music page. still, i think the drums might have a bit too much
reverb on them the whole way through - is there reverb on the bass?
maybe that's what's muddy-sounding? it's mainly the first minute that
needs work on the bass. the fake guitar actually doesn't sound too bad.
everything is pretty nicely interwoven - you've got a clear talent for
composition :)

anyway, it was great hearing your stuff - keep at it!

shayne