[linux-audio-user] midi automation and scripting tools?

Stuart Allie Stuart.Allie at hydro.com.au
Mon May 16 20:42:08 EDT 2005

Hi List,

I'm looking for tools that can do things like this to a midi file:

"take all the kick drum notes from bars 9 to 16 and shift them forward
in time by 2 ticks"

or

"take all the notes that occur on beats 2 and 4 of bars 1 to 32 and
shift them back by 4 ticks"

or

"shorten all notes in track 2 by 10% with a minimum length of 1/64"

or

"for all notes in track 3, insert a pan controller with a value equal to
"pitch - 36", just before the note on event"

I'd also like to be able to do the usual audio automation and simple
effects applied to midi: compression/expansion (of the velocity values),
echo, pitch shifting, fade-in/out, LFO-pans, ...

Now, I've collected all the midi code I can find ranging from the
various python midi modules, c and c++ midi libraries, haskore, clm, and
so on, and it doesn't seem to me that any of these tools make it easy to
do the things I'd like.

The main problem seems to be that existing programs either view things
from the "musical" perspective of bars/beats/notes etc, *or* the midi
perspective of time-stamped events. But no programs I've found seem to
understand and be able to handle both views. For example, selecting
notes based on their position in bars/beats, but then referring to their
length in ticks, just doesn't seem possible with any of the software
I've seen.

Up til now I've been using my own python code to do some of these
things, but the code is getting unwieldy and buggy to the point where I
need to either:

1. Find a replacement, or

2. Bite the bullet and rewrite the code from scratch with the intention
of releasing it when it's fit to be seen in public.

So, does any body know of any tools out there that can *readily* do
these things? I'm happy with a scripting-language type approach, or a
gui, or a combination.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

---
I fell asleep with my mp3 player on shuffle. Now I have a combination of
Steve Vai, Miles Davis, and Gregorian chants going around and around in
my head. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Strange, yes; bad, no. - Me