[linux-audio-user] RE: Re: midi automation and scripting tools?

Philip Nelson panmanphil at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 23:56:13 EDT 2005

> BTW, I noticed your comment in another thread about having a guitar midi
> controller. Which controller do you have? Does it track well enough to
> be useful? I'd love to get into midi guitar, but I'm not sure where the
> current state of hardware/software pitch tracking is. Any comments you
> have would be useful.

I have an old Roland Gr-50 with a GK-2 midi pickup. I have used it live a lot.
In that case my main use was to fill in string beds underneath normal guitar
comping. I also had a handful of percussive patches that I mixed with the
natural guitar sound. Occasionally I used an organ patch or keyboard sound when
I was gigging without a keyboard player. I liked it for what it was.

I am just getting used to it again in this new linux recording enviroment. You
do have to play differently to use it, but I think that should be an
expectation anyway. I have my pickup on my strat which seemed to work better
for midi but is not nearly as playable a guitar for me as my Howard Roberts
Artist. As a result I have a little more difficulty controlling attack. You can
hear this in the bass in this little practice recording I did last night to get
ready for an upcoming jazz gig. The bass was recorded in one take with no edits
or effects played on the strat with ardour recording fluidsynth and a sonic
implant sound font.

Hopefully you can hear the point of this which is to practice, not to create
great music ;-)

http://blogs.xcskiwinn.org//images/blogs_xcskiwinn_org/panmanphil/5/r_2295-249-027f.jpg

Philip - http://blogs.xcskiwinn.org/panmanphil
"There's a difference between righteous anger and just being crabby" - Barbara