[linux-audio-user] VMWare for Music

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Thu May 26 01:27:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 12:49:12AM -0400, ross at jose.lug.udel.edu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anyone have any experience using a VMWare session to run Windows
> audio apps?  I can't get VMWare to output to ALSA.

vmware pretty much sucks for audio even at v5.0, but only because they dont care - its virtually impossible to get it to play anything without dropouts, due to the extraordinarily short buffer it uses. i messed with /proc/asound OSS-emu buffersize stuff a bit before giving up..seems hardcoded in vmware..

and theres something called vmwareDSP: http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/ , which i think is experimental support for ARTS/ESD , in theory if you used arts backend as JACK, that might be a way in..didnt work here..

another thing u could try is make a VST plugin that spits audio over UDP, to talk to jack.UDP or jack.udpsync..which would proably work well with low latency over the loopback.. and of course MIDI tunneled thru OSC is already working fine..i gave up on a Jack.UDP-VST since i hate c++ and on win32 only use samplitude anyways, so the occasional dropouts are no prob during editing...

good luck :D