[linux-audio-user] AGNULA nightmares, again

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Oct 4 07:34:58 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:23, tim hall wrote:
> On Monday 03 October 2005 16:58, Dave Phillips was like:
> > Yep, clear as mud.
>
> Please suggest what could be added to this to make it more clear.
> http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq#Icantconnecttothenetwork

Hi Tim. As you've spent all afternoon waiting for the big music remix fracas
to start again, and Dave Philips hasn't come back on what additions to make
to the wiki, I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. The man page is fine if
you are really up to speed with Linux, but having looked through it earlier
on, I wouldn't know where to start with a blank page
in /etc/network/interfaces, as with roll your own Gentoo. Admittadly most
distro's have a partially contructed page. I think an addition could be made
regarding a nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf, also, perhaps, an example
of an /etc/network/interfaces file, with instructions to change IP address
and gateway if necessary for static setups. Perhaps showing changes that need
to be made if wanting to use dhcp. Personally I don't see any point in using
dhcp unless you are using more than 10 or so machines. I've put
my /etc/network/interfaces file below from one of my Debian installs if you
want to add it to the wiki as an example.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.0.7
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.0.0
 broadcast 192.168.0.255
 gateway 192.168.0.1

iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

This is on a client machine going through a layer 2 switch to a Smoothwall
Express 2 firewall, connected to the net by serial modem.

You're free to use this to update the wiki, as no ones going to hack my
private address. I'd do it myself, but have never updated wiki pages before.
All the best. Nigel.