[linux-audio-user] Software for Sine Wave Generation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Oct 5 04:32:34 EDT 2005

Hallo,
dmotd hat gesagt: // dmotd wrote:

> > What program is suggested for replacing this toolchain? I think Csound can
> > accomplish this. (Can this be accomplished with Audacity+Nyquist, too? Is
> > there a plug-in that will play multiple frequencies at once?) Are there any
> > favourite command line applications that can be used to produce multiple sine
> > waves at once? Csound seems overly complex for this application, but I do not
> > know of alternatives. Is there anything other than Csound? I just want to
> > make sure I'm not overlooking a great specialized program before digging into
> > Csound.

I already mentioned Pd in another mail, but "overlooking a great
specialized program" IMO is not an issue, if you can instead learn,
how to write that great specialized program yourself in Pd, Csound or
SC.

Some years ago I was always looking for that superdooper Shareware
software which gives me that much-needed functionality. Nowadays I
just fire up Pd, if I need a certain tool, and patch it.

To program most of your sine wave generator in would take less than 3
minutes, including GUI and volume and midi control, in Pd. Playing
sine waves is what is tought in the very first hour of Pd workshops,
it's generally just a starting point for software synthesizers.

Ciao