[linux-audio-user] AGNULA nightmares, again

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 07:47:47 EDT 2005

tim hall wrote:

>On Monday 03 October 2005 16:58, Dave Phillips was like:
>

>>Yep, clear as mud.
>>

>Please suggest what could be added to this to make it more clear.
>http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq#Icantconnecttothenetwork

Hi Tim:

  Well, a number of interesting observations came to me while reading
that document. For example: Were you (or whoever wrote it) aware that
the pcmcia-cs package wasn't included in 1.2.1 ? Thus the advice to use
the utility was untested, no-one actually tried it.

  GNOME is indeed installed on my system, but network-admin is not. The
wiki page does not provide enough information on what to do when
everything on the page fails. No reference to pump or the dhcp stuff.

  Linux naming conventions sometimes seem to delight in confusing users.
Is there some obvious connection between a utility named pump and a
network configuration tool ? You don't wanna know what I think when I
see 'pump'... ;-)  A more complete list of the tools needed/supplied to
set up PPP, PPPoe, DSL, cable connections, etc. would be nice.

  How about advising users who will not be using either X or GNOME ?

  The installer failed to configure eth0. This problem is dealt with in
a FAQ for 1.2.0 but there's no mention that the problem still exists in
1.2.1.

  Generally speaking, there needs to be much more foresight WRT things
going wrong. More detailed troubleshooting advice is needed.

  And the next time someone answers a question re: a failed networking
connection with "Well, just fire up apt-get..." I'm going to say
something I'm sure I'll regret. Apt-get isn't very useful when you can't
connect to the network in the first place...

  Btw, I will be overjoyed to discover that I'm an utter lunkhead who
just can't read instructions clearly. I'm not trying to denigrate
anyone's work, but I am genuinely dismayed by the number and kinds of
difficulties I've faced with Demudi.

  Don't even ask me about ALSA's virtual MIDI module...

Best regards,

dp