[linux-audio-user] Book recommendations

Jason Bechtel jasonmbechtel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:35:03 EDT 2005

On 10/5/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 17:10 +0200, John Anderson wrote:
> > I've been asked to write a driver for a PCI card that will interoperate
> > with asterisk. I've been writing code in several languages for years,
> > but I'm new to linux kernel coding, and to PCI hardware. I've already
> > found some fairly good info on TLDP, and on the net in general, but I
> > also need some good big-picture info. I've looked on Amazon, but I'm
> > feeling overwhelmed by all the options.
> >
> > So I'm looking for good books on writing kernel drivers (2.4 and 2.6)
> > and interfacing with PCI hardware.
>
> there is only book to consider. "Writing Linux Device drivers" published
> by O'Reilly. one of the best technical books i have ever read. Author is
> Alessandro Rubini i think, but i tend to be bad with names.

The more recent editions are also written with Jonathan Corbet (of
LWN.net) and Greg K-H.

Beyond just covering drivers, there are a number of books on Linux
kernel programming.  Jon Corbet just wrote a quick and scathing review
of the new book, "The Linux Kernel Primer" by Claudia Salzberg
Rodriguez, Gordon Fischer, and Steven Smolski.  Sounds like you should
avoid it.  He also specifically recommends "Linux Kernel Development"
by Robert Love, and "Understanding The Linux Kernel" by Bovet and
Cesati (third edition due in November).