[linux-audio-user] sub $200 sound card recommendations

October extremecs at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 01:20:24 EDT 2005

I recently upgraded myself to an M-Audio Delta 44 and
positively love it.  It includes a breakout box with
4in/4out and runs beautifully under debian (easy to
configure with a recent alsa).  I use it in my
basement studio and feed several sound inputs through
a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer ($100 new, if you shop around)
and it's a superb combo.  Only thing missing is MIDI
but you don't sound like you it anyway. You can
usually pick up a Delta on ebay for under $100.

Best,

Jon Hoskins
--- reuben <rf at flavor8.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping to spend no more than $200 to get a sound
> card that'll do
> everything I need from it. It will function as the
> center of the sound
> system in my art gallery; I'd like to connect it to
> a mixer via RCA. 2
> output channels + headphone monitor would be ideal,
> although I could
> live with just two of the three. I do not need
> digital, and I do not
> need surround, although neither would hurt. I do
> like the idea of an
> external interface but that is not necessary.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 5.4, 2.6 kernel, etc etc. I don't
> really have a lot
> of time to spend futzing with compiling &
> recompiling drivers; I'd like
> something that is easily (& well) supported by ALSA
> or some other
> alternative.
>
> I'd read a lot of good things about the M-Audio
> cards -- which one if
> so? Or would you spring for one of the SB Audigies?
> Or other?
>
> Thanks
> Reuben

In a world without walls who needs gates or windows?

                               --unknown