[linux-audio-user] graphics->sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 12 11:56:54 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 16:20, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:42:13 +0000
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > Hi Georg. Does that really work, or are we going into the realms of sheer
> > fantasy (Twilight zone) . Nigel. aka mekon, farpoint, and many other
> > sci-fi characters and places.
>
> well, it works only if you either
>
> a] have OSS drivers installed or
>
> b] have the ALSA OSS compat. module loaded..
>
> Nonetheless, here's an alsa version:
>
> cat foo.pdf | aplay
>
> ;)
>
> Have fun,
> Flo

Hi Flo. I take back all I said about sheer fantasy. I just ran,
evolution-usb-midi.pdf. Only 25.3KB. CLI said. Playing raw data 'stdin'  :
Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000Hz, Mono. It sounded like very, very heavy metal
guitars, with lots of distortion. A lot like the sort of stuff John Peel was
playing during his thrash period. It only ran for about 2 secs. I;ll have to
try a bigger .pdf. This is getting very interesting. Creating music (cough)
from the written word. Nigel. aka mekon, and all the other sci-fi guys.