[linux-audio-user] jack and gcc4

Hector Centeno-Garcia h.centeno at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 13 09:37:03 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-13-10 at 13:05 +0000, carmen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:43:45AM -0400, Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the Linux distros started moving to gcc4 is obvious that many old
>
> i found it a bit different. just about everything compiles perfectly on gcc4, but odd instabilities arise later. like for example i have absolutely no idea why but jackd now crashes every 15 seconds..and even after recompiling alsa-driver/jackd with 3.4.4 it wont go away! im finding it a lot more problematic than switching from 32bit to 64bit was..
>
> for the curious..       Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
> 09:25         e #1  0x00002aaaac330cf5 in driver_get_descriptor () from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_alsa.so
>
> > applications will not compile. Unfortunately one of those applications
> > is Wine 20040505, the only version you can use for Jack_fst. I don't
>
> you might have better luck with xfst, or a jack-dssi-host, or whatever the other tricks are these days to run obsolete proprietary 32bit windows plugin code on linux..
>

> How Late Do You Have 2B B4 U R Absent?

Thanks for your reply. I can't get wine 20040505 to compile because of
syntax errors that after some research I found where related to gcc4. On
the other hand everything else here works very well including jackd and
alsa. I switched from agnula to Ubuntu breezy and it is amazing who
their official kernel gives very good latency and stability without the
realtime-preempt patch and beside that you get all the support and user
friendliness. It is really a great distro!

I understand that saying "obsolete proprietary 32bit windows plugin
code" is more of an ideological claim and I agree with it. I would like
to see plugins with the quality of some of the "obsolete" ones in native
open source LADSPA or DSSI format. I believe in the open source project
and that's why I'm trying hard to do all my music composing work (which
is a lot since this is my main career) 100% in open source... but there
are two things that keep me looking back to the "obsolete proprietary
world": the lack of a high quality reverb plugin and virtual instruments
like Synful. I don't know when there would be an open source initiative
big enough to produce software like that, but I'll try to help with it!
(that's why I'm opening this debate).

cheers!

hector