[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:33:07 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:59 +0200, Cesare wrote:
> > I think that a clean solution to host vst plugins (at least the effects)
> > could be this : taking the wine approach (and maybe some code) and just
> > implement those calls that are relevant to audio plugins (file access
> > for loading and saving presets, math libraries etc.) without handling
> > graphics at all.We have the info for the effect parameters in the dll
> > and we can provide a standard interface (like the simpler vst effects in
> > cubase) to tweak parameters.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> absolutely not possible.

I'll go even a bit further. VSts are Windows programs and they should
just work under Wine. Paul & Torben's time is probably better spent
elsewhere.

I'd like to see every Linux Audio user interested in this subject
start pressing the Wine folks to support this themselves. Let's pay
attention to the Windows apps that can host VSTs and VSTi's. Acid Pro
is a commercial one that comes to mind. Fruity Loops, etc. There's got
to be free VST loaders out there for Windows. Older versions of Acid
install and run  fine under Wine but do not handle VSTs very well. The
new versions don't install or run.

Putting together yet another hack outside of Wine that will run for 1
year and then die when gcc5 comes out would be disappointing. Let's
get the Wine folks to support this.

Please enter apps in the Wine AppDB and enter test results in Wine's
Bugzilla. If there are enough of us entering 100's of apps then
they'll pay attention. Maybe not fast, but I believe they will.

My 2 cents,
Mark