[linux-audio-user] professional audio measurement with linux (?) -- a conclusion -and a minor problem with jack

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sun Oct 16 10:27:24 EDT 2005

Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> writes:

> why (are) measurement mics [..] (not) used for recording vocals and
> instruments more?

The way I understand it, is because most audio people are not
engineers and they use their ears to listen. The colorization of
certain mics may distort the sound in a pleasant way and they judge it
by that.

I would use a measurement mic to record anything (if I could afford
it) and then rather process the signal afterwards. This would be the
epitome of high fidelity audio engineering, or so is my understanding.

> Is the color that's being added by expensive special purpose
> intrument/vocal mics the reason?

So it seems.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a