[linux-audio-user] kernel bug: how to report?

Antonio debian at fastwebnet.it
Tue Oct 18 07:07:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 08:33 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
[cut]
> > I'll wait the next rt release (rt7) to see if the problem remains.
>
> In my experience waiting for -rt7 will almost certianly not fix a
> problem like this.
>
> Specifically, where did it hand? What's on the screen? Does
> /var/log/messages hold the last boot log on your machine? If so there
> may be some clues there.

It hangs on the last 2 or 3 services (few seconds before the login).
I've checked /var/log/messages, but the freeze doesn't leave any trace.
There's no error... the log simply stops when the system hangs. And the
log seem very similar to the 2.6.14-rc4-rt1 one which boots correctly
although sometime gives me some errors.

> Probably you need to change the kernel config slightly to get beyond this.

Well, I simply make an oldconfig upon a well functioning 2.6.14-rc4
vanilla kernel. I've read each new voice and I've ended up answering
always no (except for the "Complete Preemption" choice).

This morning I've tried the rt8 patch and I can't even compile the
kernel! This is the error:

  CC      kernel/ktimers.o
kernel/ktimers.c: In function 'check_ktimer_signal':
kernel/ktimers.c:1209: warning: passing argument 1 of
'unlock_ktimer_base' from incompatible pointer type
kernel/ktimers.c:1225: error: 'struct ktimer_base' has no member named
'getoffset'
make[2]: *** [kernel/ktimers.o] Error 1

Maybe today there will be some others releases.

> - Mark

Cheers,

  ~ Antonio