[linux-audio-user] The standard FC4 kernel burps XRUNS

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 20 13:01:10 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 09:32 -0700, thewade wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have another question for you all: can the Ingo's realtime kernel
> fixes be implemented as a module?
> (I know that it sounds silly, but I had to ask)

absolutely not. they are deep, pervasive changes in the kernel code.

> Here is my situation. I am running FC4 on an AMD64 (with a 32-bit os
> because PD's arrays dont work in 64-bit) and a hammerfall card. I am
> using the standard kernel because rpm.livna.org has an ATI kernel module
> that allows me to use my graphics card as it should be used.

this is the problem with using h/w with only closed source patches.

> Or do I have to build a new kernel using Ingo's patches, then build the
> ATI kernel module seprately as well? Is a realtime patched kernel even
> compatable with the ATI module I wonder.

you need the CCRMA kernel, which you don't have to compile, then you ned
to get the ATI driver and compile it against the CCRMA kernel.

the same problem exists for nvidia, btw.

--p