[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Martin Wohlleben Martin.Wohlleben at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 15:31:08 EDT 2005

torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:33:07AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On 10/13/05, Paul Davis
>> <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

>> > absolutely not possible.
>> >

>> I'll go even a bit further. VSts are Windows programs and they should
>> just work under Wine. Paul & Torben's time is probably better spent
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> I'd like to see every Linux Audio user interested in this subject
>> start pressing the Wine folks to support this themselves. Let's pay
>> attention to the Windows apps that can host VSTs and VSTi's. Acid Pro
>> is a commercial one that comes to mind. Fruity Loops, etc. There's got
>> to be free VST loaders out there for Windows. Older versions of Acid
>> install and run  fine under Wine but do not handle VSTs very well. The
>> new versions don't install or run.
>>
>> Putting together yet another hack outside of Wine that will run for 1
>> year and then die when gcc5 comes out would be disappointing. Let's
>> get the Wine folks to support this.
>>
>> Please enter apps in the Wine AppDB and enter test results in Wine's
>> Bugzilla. If there are enough of us entering 100's of apps then
>> they'll pay attention. Maybe not fast, but I believe they will.
>
> i still believe, that the current xfst approach is a clean solution.
> it does no more use the libwinelib hack.
> its a wine app which uses jack natively.
>
> i mailed it to several people who reported success IIRC.
>
> i mailed it to them because i dont have the time to open a
> sourceforge-project etc. for it.
> i thought that some of them would invest the time to make it available
> publicly.
> (paul, did you actually test it ? i know you dont have the time either,
> and as long as we dont provide some linker wrapper its not COMPLETE. )
>
> but hey: it does not use the "pull wine into an app not knowing wine"
> approach.
>
> i dont have the time to (use my computer / write mail) very often.
>
> so someone should step forward and try to get xfst outthere soon.
> with webpage, README etc.
>

> xfst is a wine (not win) app which loads vsts and binds them to jack
> ports.
>
> i upload my current state to http://galan.sf.net/xfst-0.3.tar.gz
> please report success or failure in this thread. my response latency is
> very high.
>
> i am very sorry that galan cant load vsts currently.
> but hell it should load dssi plugs.

Hi Torben,

thanks for this great application. That what I've been looking for for the
last month's.
Today I tested xfst -r with the Sampletank 2 Free plugin that didn't work
with any other solution and now it's running stable at 48 kHz and 64 frames
buffer.
There are just some x-runs when loading a new soundfont and following error
message occurs:

epoll_ctl: Operation not permitted

But that's not important. It's more important that my Linux-Box can load
vst-plugins now and that it is running stable. Thank you again.

(My box: SuSE 9.2, wine 20050830, Kernel 2.6.11.7 with
realtime-preempt-2.6.11-final-V0.7.40-04 and rt-lsm)

Ciao
Martin