[linux-audio-user] music apps being removed with Sarge/Etch updates

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 24 19:16:39 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 22:47, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 10/24/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > ps: I hope Linux distro's arn't going the way of MS Windows XP & the
> > notorious app trashing service pack 2. But saying that, at least Debian
> > have the decency to tell you before you upgrade, which app's they're
> > going to trash.
>
> I don't know what non-Gentoo users feel about the distro (and before
> you answer let's start a new religion thread...) but I doubt this sort
> of issue will come up this distro.
>
> - Mark - audio fun on Gentoo for the last 2 years

Hi Mark. It took me quite some months to get Gentoo installed, with some
breaks to get myself together again. It's up and running now Had a problem
getting Gnome and KDE 3.4 to install, but creating a link for libtools named
3.4 and linked to 3.5-2005xxxx fixed that. I've got a few music apps on it,
and am quite satisfied with Gentoo, but, not really for a real newbie to
install. I've had no app trashing problems from Fernando with FC1,2, and 3,
and Slackware 10.0 seems ok too.

Just a bit on the side. I'd really like to get Smack the drum machine on
Gentoo, and see there are some ebuilds for it, but don't know how to work
with them after I've downloaded them. Any hints so that I can use emerge to
install them? Thanks for watching. Nigel.