[linux-audio-user] Non-graphical synthesiser solution?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:22:37 EDT 2005

> On 10/25/05, S. Massy <smassy at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am toying with the idea to re-start playing with digital synthesis
> > once again (haven't done so in a while now). Judging by the number of
> > synth packages in the Debian archive, there is more than a few out
> > there; however, most of them (bristol, ams, etc.) seem to be
> > GUI-controlled (and hence require an x-server), which is not very
> > practical for me. I can think of a few ways to rig up a modular synth
> > with, say, ecasound, jack, and aconnect, but I was wondering if there is
> > any programme, package, or idea already out there to make this easier. I
> > also started playing with SuperCollider today, but language-driven
> > synthesis are, by necessity, more of a long-term endavour, and, right
> > now, I'm looking for more of a modular synth solution, especially
> > LADSPA-driven. Any idea?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > S.M.

As an alternative to Super Collider you might look into Chuck. On the
surface it seems like an interesting alternative and possibly a bit
more manageable than SC, but again it's a language so it might take
more time than you want to invest:

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

Anyway, even if you don't use I think it's interesting to know about.

Take care,
Mark