[linux-audio-user] Re: help needed with JACK options

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Sep 5 10:17:09 EDT 2005

Arnold Krille wrote:
> On 9/5/05, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> > 2) I understand audio dithering conceptually, but what would be a
> > typical situation when I would enable it in JACK ?
>
> I think that makes it possibly to run jack on other samplerates than
> the one supported by the soundcard.

Jack never does any resampling; this would be done by the ALSA
library.

And if dithering is used, it should be the last step when rendering
audio data, i.e., it should be done after the resampling.  Using a
sample rate not supported by the hardware is a case where dithering
should be disabled.

> > 4) Regarding the "Force 16-bit" option: When would a normal user want to
> > activate this option ?

Jack tries 32, 24, 16 bit sampe formats in this order.  It might be
possible that a user wants to hide the "cannot use 32 bits, trying 24
..." messages.

Some sound devices might offer higher sample rates or more channels
when using only 16 bits because their chips have a limited bandwidth.

HTH
Clemens