[linux-audio-user] help needed with JACK options

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:06:08 EDT 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 08:51 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
>   I'm preparing various materials regarding ALSA and JACK, and I need
> some help understanding some of JACK's options. I've consulted the JACK
> FAQ and the jackd man page, the existing explanations are clear enough
> as far as they go, but they don't actually explain *why* a user wants or
> doesn't want to activate certain options. Namely:
>
> 1) What will the -m and -u memory options do for a normal user ? Under
> what circumstances is it appropriate to use them ? What exactly does it
> mean to unlock a GUI library's memory, and again, how/when does it
> benefit the normal user ? Are there reasons a user should not enable
> these options ?

I may be jumping the gun, but I'm just responding because no one else has
tackled the question so far, so I'll try a guess--maybe it will spark someone
else with knowledge.  (I've never used JACK and haven't tried to read the FAQ
and man page.)

Could locking the GUI library's memory mean locking the GUI library in memory?
In which case locking it in memory might make the GUI respond faster (at the
cost of more memory being used (not being swapped out ...), and thus possibly
other things operating more slowly.  And, conversely, "unlocking" the memory
possibly making the GUI run slower (primarily due to swapping) with the
possible benefit of other things running faster?

Strictly guesses.

Randy Kramer