[linux-audio-user] My CD Player/Burner stopped working

Frode Haugsgjerd froh at fsb.gotdns.org
Mon Sep 5 15:40:28 EDT 2005

man, 05,.09.2005 kl. 11.31 -0700, skrev Mike Jewell:
> Just to follow up on this in case someone else has this same problem
> with xcdroast:
>
> I believe that when I updated my os to Fedora Core 3, the version of
> xcdroast (or maybe one of the apps it is a front-end for) changed so
> that you need to be root to run it.  The bad part is that there is no
> indication that this is the problem.  Here is the output when I DON'T
> run it as root:
>
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
>    deleted lines...
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
> (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
> 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
>    deleted lines...
> cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.
>

> When I run it as root, it seems to be (mostly) happy and writes a good
> CD every time.
>
> Mike
> Mike Jewell
> One-Up Audio

-snip-
You need to either change your cdrom device's permissions so they are
writable by you, or make the cdrecord binary suid.
http://debianlinux.net/~jama/howto/cd_mastering_steps.html#user_access
The root account is not that different from normal users, often file
permissions is the problem when "it works as root".
I believe cdrecord can gain realtime priority when it's running as root,
but on a modern system it works fine without.
--
Frode Haugsgjerd
Norway