[linux-audio-user] alsa rme96 jack - 186 msec latency?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Sep 6 20:51:06 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 01:36 +0200, Michael Rudolf wrote:
> I bought an RME Digi96/8 PST because it was said to have good Linux support
> and very low latency, therefore perfectly suitable for hd-recording and
> the like.

where does it say this? the digi96/8 is an entirely different product
(different h/w design, different chipset, different interactions with
the host CPU) from the digi9652, HDSP and HDSP9652 systems. this latter
range is well supported and works exceedingly well on almost all
systems. the digi96/8 has support, but it does not work particularly
well, especially not for low latency work (this is not because of the
driver design (other than the overall way that ALSA works), but because
of the h/w design).

as for issues with xruns and delays, you need to tell us what kernel,
what distribution, and what version of ALSA.

--p