[linux-audio-user] extracting lyrics from a MIDI file

David david at hl.afraid.org
Thu Sep 8 13:14:48 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:03:56PM +0400, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> I have a MIDI file with some lyrics hidden inside it.
>
> Is there a Linux program that would let me extract the lyrics?

I've never had need for such a program, but your query prompted me to
do a quick search, and I came across KMid =>
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/kmid.html

Alternatively - if installing a GUI application seemed like somewhat of an overkill
- you could install Sean Burke's MIDI-Perl perl Module => http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/MIDI-Perl-0.81/lib/MIDI.pm
There is a synopsis on this page =>
http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/MIDI-Perl-0.81/lib/MIDI/Event.pm
showing how to extract the text events from a MIDI (.mid) file. It works with Karaoke (.kar) files as well.
You would need to modify the code somewhat to tailor the output according to your needs,
but it's a start anyway.

I'm not acquainted with the format of midi files, and someone else will quite possibly have better suggestions.

HTH

--
http://hl.afraid.org/~david/