[linux-audio-user] Is it possible to force a USB MIDI device to use a fixed ALSA client ID?

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 9 12:23:38 EDT 2005

I've been playing around with session saving and restoring using LASH
0.5.0pre0 - it works pretty well for restoring and connecting programs
that support LASH (such as a patched Zyn 2.2.1, Om from current CVS,
Dino 0.1.52 etc), but it doesn't work quite as well for connecting the
ALSA MIDI input ports to the output port of my USB keyboard, since the
keyboard can get a different ALSA client ID every time I turn it on.

If I could somehow tell ALSA that my USB keyboard should _always_ use
client ID 80 (for example) and never let any other client use that ID
the problem would be solved, since LASH would then find the keyboard at
the same client ID as last time and connect everything as it was. Is
there any way to do this?

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.d.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php