[linux-audio-user] Musix GNU+Linux 0.26

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Sep 11 13:23:50 EDT 2005

==Musix GNU+Linux 0.26==

===Downloads===

*Hosting provided by Ututo-e and the Free Software Foundation
 http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu+linux-distros/ututo-e/
 http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu+linux-distros/ututo-e/MusixGNU+Linux026.iso

*Hosting provided by Red Educativa Sanjuanina [http://www.formar.info]
 http://musix.distrux.net/musixGNU+Linx026.iso

*Official web site
 http://www.musix.org.ar

==Introduction==

The Musix GNU+Linux development team is proud to present a new
improved version of the 100% free operating system for musicians.

The users will notice an optimal performance in reference to the
programs's yield: load time, behavioral, etc.

===User's Manual===

A complete manual for new users is included into the Live-CD, both in Spanish
and English, explaining every aspect of the system.

* Spanish
 https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Manual026

* English
 https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Documentation

==Everyday use==

Musix can be used as an everyday desktop system, whether you are a
musician or not. That's why we've improved the installation system.
The installation time could take between 25 and 50 minutes.

==Included software==

At the end of this text you will find a full and detailed software's list for
musicians.

As a Live CD or as a hard disk installed system, you get 1310 software
packages, among which you will find Abiword, gnumeric (spreadsheet),
Mozilla-Firefox (WEB browser), aMSN, gaim, (chat), Amule,
gtk-gnutella, BitTorrent (P2P exchange software), Balsa (mail client),
GIMP (image manipulation), XINE (video player), xmms (multimedia
player) and many others.

==Installation==

The installation accepts both the multi-user and the single user style.

In the multi-user style, KDM is in charge of managing the different desktops:
Icewm (default) tailored with rox-filer, fluxbox - openbox & fbpanel, KDE.

The installation based in a single administrator user may be the most
convenient for those who have recently arrived at the GNU+Linux world, since
it behaves like the Live-CD.

This new "Live-CD" version can be installed on hard disk, having two kernels
(system's cores): kernel 2.6.11 from Knoppix, and kernel 2.6.12-3 from
DeMuDi, ideal for real time tasks (sound effects, multitrack recording, DSP,
etc.).

==Performance==

The performance tests carried out in equipments with Musix installed
in hard disks, have been very successful, been able of recording more
than 16 tracks in Ardour, and connecting many others programs to each
other with JACK.

We have developed once more the concept of light and functional
desktops, avoiding the well-known GNOME and KDE.

With all these improvements, the user who has an old PC may now use
these complex programs, and the one who has a new PC will be benefited
with the stability and high performance of JACK 0.100 and the rest of
the updated programs.

=Newness=

==Desktop==

The combined desktop system presents you the possibility of varying the
icons according to the type of task you want to perform: General Use, Audio ,
MIDI, Graphics, Office, Internet, Terminal.

==Launchers==

With Musix 0.26 everything is simpler: from the Musix menu, Rosegarden
can be initiated altogether with a some synth (Qsynth,
ZynAddSubFX, DSSI, etc.), accomplishing an easier use, and offering the user a
way of music production with no need to be a geek.

We have implemented the same concept to others programs.

===JACK 0.100===

This audio connection kit is the nexus between the best GNU+Linux programs for
musicians. We have the honor to count with its last version.

The performance improvement is really impressive, allowing a way of
comfortable and agile work.

Thanks to the implemented launcher system, the programs are able to
recognize whether the Jack audio server is running or not, to initiate
JACK in case that this one requires it, and in case of requiring a
change in its state, asks the user what to do.

The implemented settings for JACK are very general and
preservative, oriented to any type of hardware, but in a future we
may adapt its way to work to the specific hardware in which it is
running.  The user always has the option to modify the way in which
JACK starts, using JACK Control.

===Timidity with freepats===

The freepats percussion instrument set has been 100% completed: this
is historical for the Free Software's music world.

===Hydrogen Drum Machine===

We have included 15 percussion kits for the Hydrogen (0.92 final) rhythm
machine, which has been remarkably improved in design and quality.

===Soundfont General MIDI===

We have included one more time a full soundfont under GPL license, with its
128 melodic instruments and 10 percussion kits, been the first non-comercial
distribution that brings this facility to its users.

For instance, this allows the user to import General MIDI files (.mid, .kar)
into Rosegarden and listen all the channels with its respective instruments.

The main idea in this case is that the user is not forced to look for
soundfonts in Internet, and can make its compositions with the most
comfort within Musix GNU+Linux.

===Rosegarden: Spanish Manual===

Although this is not a direct part of the Musix development, two
members of our team are collaborating with the Spanish translation of
the manual.

*Traslators:
*Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
*Javier Castrillo
*Marcos Guglielmetti (Musix)
*Lucas Godoy (Musix)

Musix is the first distribution that makes this manual available for
Hispanic speech users.

===Software update and installation===

We have synchronized the software update system with Debian /testing.
The user will be able, for example, to install all KDE Desktop if he
wants it.

We have planned to create our own repository for special cases.

===DSSI===

The DSSI MIDI instrument system works much better with the inclusion
of the new JACK 0.100.

===Noteedit===

>From the Musix menu you can launch altogether noteedit and Timidity
pre-configured, so you will be able to listen to the scores you write.

You can import the result to Rosegarden and print it on paper.

=Most relevant software list=

===Music and audio===

* Rosegarden 1.0 DSSI   (MIDI and Audio multitrack sequencer)
* Ardour 0.9beta29-5    (multitrack sequencer)
* Jamin 0.95.0-3        (mastering)
* Hydrogen 0.92 final   (rhythm machine)
* cheesetracker 0.9.9-2.1       (tracker)
* jackd 0.100.0-4       (audio and MIDI connection)
* qjackctl (JACK Control) 0.2.18-1 (spanish and english)
* Puredata 0.38.4+amidi-4 (analysis and rendering)
* Tartini 1.0           (analysis of solo instruments)
* Jack-rack: 1.4.4-3    (real time effects)
* creox 0.2.2rc2-2      (real time effects)
* audacity 1.2.3-1      (multitrack audio edition)
* gwc: 0.20.10-2        (noise elimination)
* wavesurfer:   1.8.3-1 (audio edition)
* mixers: kmix, gnome-alsamixer, alsamixergui, gamix, aumix
* xmms: 1.2.10          (Multimedia System)
* xmms-jackasyn: 0.2-1  (plugin for xmms with jack)

===Others===

* GIMP 2.2.8-8          (Image manipulator)
* Abiword: 2.2.7-3      (text proccesor)
* gnumeric: 1.5.1-1     (spreadsheet)
* Balsa: 2.3.2-2        (mail client)
* Mozilla-Firefox: 1.0.6-3      (browser)
* Konqueror: 3.3.2-1            (browser)
* amsn: 0.94-1          (chat)
* amule: 2.0.3-2        (P2P exchange)
* Bittornado: 0.3.12-2  (P2P exchange)
* xine-ui: 0.99.3-1     (video)
* GCC 4.0.1-3           (compiler)
* xserver-xfree86: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1 (graphic server)
* icewm: 1.2.20+21pre1-3        (window manager)
* openbox: 3.2-7                (window manager)
* fluxbox: 0.9.11-1sarge0       (window manager)
* fbpanel: 4.1-2        (task panel)
* rox-filer: 2.2.0-3    (icon and file administrator)
* kdesktop: 3.3.2-1     (KDE desktop)
* kate 3.3.2            (text editor)
* vim: 1:6.3-072+1      (text editor)
* emacs21: 21.4a-1      (The GNU Emacs editor)

=Translator=

Spanish to English: Marcos Manoni

=One more thing=

How does Musix compare to DeMuDi or better asked wherein do your goals differ
from other audio distributions ?

1 We will not leave the system into Debian maintainer's hands, we are not a
part of Debian: Debian it's not 100% free. Musix OS it's 100% free software
because it does not have private software, and it does not support non-free
software.

2 We have a different approach: a didactic OS.

3 We want the users to find an easy way to make all the tasks under Musix:
DeMuDi, Planet CCRMA, are for geeks now.

4 There wasn't a GNU+Linux music distribution for spanish speakers: now there
is: Musix. But then, RMS tell me that it will be thousandfold more useful to
support english language, and I agree with him.

5 Easier: only one CD and you have it all: office apps, net, graphics,
programing, midi, audio, etc.

6 Live CD: what you are testing is what you will go to find if you install it,
but if you install it, it will be better because of the multimedia kernel,
and the enhanced HD work.

7 Documentation: the system comes with an understandable User's Manual.

8 Audacity: we will include really new apps, CVS versions, etc., for example:
DSSI, Hydrogen 0.92 final, jackd 0.100

9 Desktops: it is well known that Gnome and KDE are really bad for JACK audio
work, so we choose fluxbox, openbox, icewm + rox-filer as desktops. Besides,
this election allow us to escape from KDE's and gnome's package's
dependencies.

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar