[linux-audio-user] 44.1, 48 or 96?

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo at dellorfano.net
Sun Sep 11 18:54:47 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I am looking for some engineering know-how and advice. Should I track at
44.1 kHz, 48 kHz or 96 kHz?

I record vocals and acoustic guitar for the most part. I have been
routinely recording at 24 bits, 96 kHz simply because I can and I assume
that this gets me the highest fidelity from my recordings (tracking
through AKG Solidtube or a pair of Oktava condensers and a Pendulum
Audio SPS-1 preamp to Delta 1010LT into Jack/Ardour). After a discussion
with a friend, I´m not so sure anymore. He is recording his album at
44.1 kHz, arguing that this will avoid downsampling when finally
pressing a CD. So, are there any opinions about this?

There is a very practical issue here. I am contemplating the addition of
an outboard digital effects processor to take some load off my CPU. Most
units (less than $1000) with s/pdif are 44.1 and 48 kHz, so they would
not work (I don´t think) with digital audio recorded at 96 kHz.

Thanks for all the help you've given me in the past. I hope I am not
coming to the well too many times!!

-Joe Dell'Orfano

--
Joseph Dell'Orfano <fullgo at dellorfano.net>