[linux-audio-user] alsa rme96 jack - 186 msec latency?

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:10:37 EDT 2005

> Eric, Reuben, would be nice to hear some more details about your working
> setups.

My current setup is kernel 2.6.12.6 with the gentoo-sources patchset
plus the realtime-preemption patch. I have both realtime-LSM and
rtlimits. (With PAM patched for rtlimits)  I'm using Jack 0.100.4.

I doubt chrt will do much for you, although you're welcome to try it.
I've never needed to use it.

Messages like "late driver wakeup" would lead me to think this an alsa
driver problem, or possible an IRQ problem.

I would start by looking at your alsa driver and how it is set up. Do
you have more than I sound device? If so, are you sure that the RME
96/32 is hw:0 ? Is the alsa driver loaded as a module or built into
the kernel? For that matter, are you sure you have your kernel
configured correctly? You patched it, but what settings did you use?
Do non jack apps give you problems when playing back audio? How are
IRQs set up in your kernel? (Are you using APIC?) Is the sound card
sharing IRQs?

Right now I think your kernel config is highly suspect since it seems
you're somewhat new to kernel configs. Secondary suspect is your
system setup. (I know nothing of how the PCLinuxOS distro is
configured)

>Maybe I should try to build jack from source, too.

I always build mine by hand. That way I know for sure how it's been
configured, and there are a lot of build options with Jack that can
drastically change how it behaves.

-Reuben