[linux-audio-user] 44.1, 48 or 96?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 12 11:32:56 EDT 2005

> Bouncing a final mix to 1/2 inch tape before the final print allows you
> to do the 44.1 conversion from a high quality analog source.  But, it
> assumes that the source recordings and processing was done at an
> extremely high level - i.e. DSD.  And unfortunately, we don't yet have
> any open-source tools for manipulating DSD.  I know of a few mastering
> houses that would *kill* to be using GNU/Linux if the tools were
> available.

there is a still quite a lot of controversy over whether or not Sony's 1
bit/MHz clock design actually *is* better than more "traditional"
approaches. i know there is a lot of good marketing to explain why its
so cool, but that doesn't seem to be backed up by any substantive double
blind testing. even the math analysis is heavy on marketing bullshit.