[linux-audio-user] thoughts towards an ALSA configuration utility

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Sep 12 13:45:09 EDT 2005

On Monday 12 September 2005 16:03, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   While I was working on the JACK article I was reminded how much I rely
> on is Rui Capela's QJackCtl. I haven't touched JACK at the command-line
> in a long while, thanks to QJC.
>
>   So I was thinking about the complexity of configuring ALSA and I
> started wondering what I'd want to see in a more complete ALSA
> configuration utility. I'm just rambling out loud here, so feel free to
> add and comment:

[snipped]

Actually I can't think of anything to add right now, but I've saved this for
later reference. Alsaconf's interface is and has been awful for ages. I would
just put in a vote for building in such a way as to make a GTK2 interface
possible. Although a QT interface would be perfectly acceptable, in fact
anything has to better than ncurses. I started work on a PyGTK model of this
a while ago, but got distracted. I don't have the skills to implement the
hardware configuration stuff anyway, but it would be pretty easy to wrap
utilities that would be normally available from the command line.

Call the backend AlsaCtl - it's sort of obvious isn't it? and then you can
append the appropriate acronym for the front-end. The difficulty will be
avoiding a massive dependency chain doing it my way, that's if you want to
wash the dishes as well. ;) I shall doubtless leave the coding up to people
who know what they're doing, but it's something I have been pondering for a
while and I'd be happy to put some effort into making it happen.

--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim