[linux-audio-user] 44.1, 48 or 96?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Sep 12 15:16:54 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:12:25AM -0400, Greg Wilder wrote:

> Bouncing a final mix to 1/2 inch tape before the final print allows you
> to do the 44.1 conversion from a high quality analog source.  But, it
> assumes that the source recordings and processing was done at an
> extremely high level - i.e. DSD.  And unfortunately, we don't yet have
> any open-source tools for manipulating DSD.  I know of a few mastering
> houses that would *kill* to be using GNU/Linux if the tools were
> available.

Is there even any readily available DSD hardware?  I'm aware of some
Sony prototype gear, an editing system called Pyramix, and Sonic Studio,
and I don't imagine that any of those would sell just the hardware or
open up the specs of the hardware for writing drivers.

Additionally, is there even a standard yet that would be the DSD
equivelent of AES or S/PDIF?

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net