[linux-audio-user] Re: JACK and memory

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Sep 12 22:01:30 EDT 2005

Peter Mogensen <apm at bigendian.dk> writes:

> Lee Revell wrote:
>> Sounds like qsynth is the problem, it probably has a memory leak.
>
> Qsynth is not the only application which can trash the system, if I try
> to use it through JACK. As soon as I try to do real work with Timidity,
> it also eats my memory.
> In general it seems I uickly run out of memory when I use JACK.
>
> Simple things work though.
> I'll try to upgrade my system to 768Mb RAM and see if it still is a problem.

Try running jackd with the -m (--no-mlock) option.

With -R (--realtime), libjack normally does an mlockall() on the
client's address space.  It may be that some of these clients allocate
large data areas that are not fully needed, yet get pinned by
mlockall().

(Or, as Lee said, there could be memory leaks.)
--
  joq