[linux-audio-user] is RT-Preempt functional on x86-64?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Sep 13 16:04:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:53 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > I didn't mean to say you should not report them here, but once you've
> > established it's a kernel bug then the discussion should move to LKML.
>
> I have tried the 2.6.13-rt kernel and it boots fine but will lock up
> after a few minutes. (2.6.12-rt had the same problem for me IIRC)
>
> I haven't submitted a report because I know "it crashes sometimes" is a
> fairly useless report. You sound like you know what you're doing, do you
> have any advice for those of us willing to test out these kernels but
> not completely familiar with kernel debugging? How do we construct a
> useful bug report for Ingo?

Actually "the machine locks up sometimes" is not useless at all,
provided you supply the kernel .config.  You don't even need to get into
kernel debugging, bug reporting is much easier ;-)

If you can reproduce the lockup at a text console, you might be able to
get an Oops which you can either take a picture of with a digital camera
or copy down by hand.

I already reported this issue to LKML, we'll see what happens.

Lee