[linux-audio-user] low latency streaming

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Tue Sep 13 18:46:44 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 06:53:47PM -0700, Iain Duncan wrote:

> >>Hey everyone, I'm trying to get it set it up so I can work remotely on
> >>my linux box from a windoze terminal over vnc and hear the audio via
> >>icecast. I got icecast and muse working, listening through real player
> >>on windoze. However, the latency is really high, about 10sec. I'm using
> >>a AMD 64 3000 patched with low latency, and both ends have high speed
> >>dsl connections. Can anyone tell me what to do to get the latency down
> >>to a couple of seconds or less?
> >What have you set the buffer sizes to in icecast and RealPlayer? That
> >kind of programs typically have very large buffers.
> I couldn't figure out where to do that for RealPlayer, or for icecast.
> In icecast I turned off the burst thing. Is the queue size in the conf
> file the same as buffer size?

Don't know about realplayer, but I think you're on the right track for
icecast.

http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.2.0/icecast2_config_file.html

Try lowering the queue-size and play with burst-on-connect and
burst-size. There is almost always someone in #icecast on
irc.freenode.net who could help you if you still have trouble.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia