[linux-audio-user] Re: is RT-Preempt functional on x86-64?

José Serralde sonojm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 05:04:18 EDT 2005

El mar, 13-09-2005 a las 14:36 -0600, Hans Fugal escribió:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 at 22:26 +0200, Peter Mogensen wrote:
> > Hans Fugal wrote:
> > > I have tried the 2.6.13-rt kernel and it boots fine but will lock up
> > > after a few minutes. (2.6.12-rt had the same problem for me IIRC)
> >
> > For what it's worth:
> > Do you have any other "experimental" kernel features? My 2.6.13-rt also
> > freezes (or spontaniously reboots) after a while, but it seems to only
> > happen when my ipw2100 WLAN module is used. That module is otherwise
>
> None that come to mind. I will send in my .config per Lee's suggestion.
>
> I'm not usually doing anything interesting either, just locks up out of
> the blue.

Noah Roberts <roberts.noah at gmail.com> kindly shares with us his
experience:

I successfully patched the 13-rc7 kernel with what was the current rt
patch at the time.  It is still working.

However, there seems to be issues regarding ehci-hcd at least on this
end and it isn't necissarily specific to any kernel.  Sometimes when
that module is loaded the system locks up or crashes...same effect as
far as I can see either way.  It also interfears with the suspend to
disk system.  If your kernel is doing odd things like locking on
bootup maybe you have ehci loading at the time or compiled in and
initializing?

I have not made any reports because I can't find a steady set of
circumstances and can't get an error report to generate.  Also my
posts here don't seem to show up?

Jose, if you don't get this twice (because the reply to the lisst
didn't work) can you forward to the list so others can see my answer?
I don't think I am able to post to the mailing list any longer.

I created a website of my experiences with the new laptop, which is an
amd64: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6U

I will report any data I get from experimenting with this ehci issue,
referred by Noah.

Thank you Noah, Lee and everyone... the experiments continue and so this
thread.

José