[linux-audio-user] ANN: hearnet 0.0.4--Don't Paniq

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Sep 22 21:44:51 EDT 2005

Leonard paniq Ritter sent me a nifty patch for hearnet some time ago. I
really dig it, and I finally got around to incorporating the patch and
releasing a new version. Here's what paniq has to say about it:

    changed code so that it uses 32-voice polyphony and plays bridges /
    chromatic orders.

    as an effect, you get very harmonic sounds if packet sizes on a site
    are the same, and quite weird stuff if packet sizes vary.

Go get it and see how much cooler it sounds!

http://hans.fugal.net/src/hearnet

Now, this brings up a JACK question. I'm on 2.6.13-rt13 (desktop) using
PAM with the rtlimits patch. JACK starts up happily in realtime mode,
and JACK apps I start as me play together nicely. But hearnet must be
run as root to be able to sniff the network, and therefore it can't
connect to the JACK server. Is there anything I can do in hearnet code,
or anywhere else, so that I can have it talk to my existing user-started
jackd?

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a