[linux-audio-user] distro suggestions..

October extremecs at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 01:38:33 EDT 2005

Yes, it's a great audio distribution and at the same
time so good at other stuff that I'm tempted to start
putting in my non-audio systems too.

To give you an idea where I am coming from I currently
run 6 machines in my house, four on linux, 2 on
windows.  Each member of my immediate family has their
own machine + a dedicated file and print server.  I
used to be very big into Mandrake, for several years,
and have messed with just about everything else as
well.  Debian became my favorite over a year ago when
the first easy-to-install distros (Knoppix, Libranet,
etc.) started showing up.

My wife and daughter currently run Ubuntu, our server
runs Mepis and I run Demudi.  Once you learn one
debian you pretty much know them all and on my quest
for audio production without a bunch of flaming hoops
to jump through (compiling, quirky driver
configuration, etc.) Demudi has easily proven it's
worth.  There is a live version and an installer
version and both are excellent in their own way.  I
recommend trying the live version first to at least
check hardware compatibility and then, if you like it,
download the installable version.

You also get the benefit of the [a-users] mailing list
which I have found to be of great value.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up with!

Jon Hoskins