[linux-audio-user] Realtime-lsm for SuSE 9.3 x86_64 - Attn: Rui Nuno Capela

Jody Noury jody.noury at linucie.net
Sat Sep 24 07:55:26 EDT 2005

Hi,

David Haggett a écrit :
[...]

> I'm a bit worried about mucking up my system (also used for general purpose
> computing), and I was hoping someone could give me some further advice:

Several pinguins can live in your box :)

>   If I patch and reconfigure the kernel source, is that likely to break
>   future compilation using the default kernel?

I usually use /usr/src to put kernel sources (and some other for module,
well not always :o )

For example on my laptop which needs unichrome and at least 2.6.11 for
i2c and fan control, I have installed several months ago a Kaella
(french lang Knoppix version from linux-azur.org) wich had a 2.4.24 kernel.

I made lot of config to be able to have fan/temp control, I extracted
2.6.11 kernel sources in /usr/src and change sysmlink /usr/src/linux.

So that you could test different sources, just in changing your symlink(s).

>   Is it possible to copy the contents of /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9/
>   to another location (something like /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9-rt)
>   and apply the patch and compile there, or is it better just to patch
>   the suse source directly, accessing it via the /usr/src/linux symlink?

Don't know in what suse source differ but you can use source from
kernel.org.

>   Also I noticed there's a directory called /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9-obj

>   Do patches automatically change the kernel identifier so that when I do
>   a make modules_install it will create a new directory instead of copying
>   them over the modules from the running kernel?  Is there a way to make
>   sure it does?
You could probably edit Makefile.

>   Is it OK to manually copy the vmlinuz and system.map file into /boot
>   with a name appropriate to the kernel version?
I do like that.

>   Is it good practice to reference kernels directly in the GRUB menu.lst
>   by their real names rather than the symlink (when presenting the option
>   to boot more then one)?
vmlinuz should point to your config by default.

> I'm really sorry for the basic questions - I'm still a relative newbie to
> Linux. I've thought about trying out a dedicated multimedia distro, but
> really comfortable with SuSE now.

I am a newbie so and think I will be forever in front of this enormous
community work :)

> Thanks in advance
Hope it will help !

Jody