[linux-audio-user] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

Dmitry Baikov dsb at eagle.ru
Wed Sep 28 09:46:32 EDT 2005

On 9/28/05, *Paul Davis* <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
<mailto:paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>> wrote:

    >  Is it possible in practice? And for what number of channels? Also,
    is FW
    >  much better than USB2 and why?

    yes, its much better: vastly higher bandwidth, much faster bus clock.

Theoretical(!) numbers are: FW-400 = 400MBits/s, USB2.0 = 480 MBits/s

     > As for RME Multiface

    i'm not sure that its that hard anymore. kernel 2.6 seemed to have fixes
    --p

As I see, you insist on RME :) Reasonable choice. More expensive, but
bullet-proof.
 From reading RME mailing lists, I know there were many problems with
Ricoh controllers (on PCI bursts). And everybody recommends TI. But most
notebooks to choose from have Ricoh controllers. Do you know if these
problems were solved? According to the list everybody went for Fireface
now, so there's no feedback on modern cardbus setups.
And even less on linux setups.

Questions about FA-101 still remain :)

More opinions / experiences are welcome :)

Thank you.
Dmitry.