[linux-audio-user] I/O scheduler for 2.6 kernel

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Wed Sep 28 11:03:23 EDT 2005

> I believe that you are using anticipatory.

 Yes, your using the one in brackets

>I don't know which one is best for low latency.

 I don't either, but judging from this it might be anticipatory:
 http://kerneltrap.org/node/616.
 I really doubt (from an ordinary audio users POV) you'll see
 that much difference in latency tough. I'd rather make sure my hdparm
 values are correct.

> You can try each one (I think) by adding a boot time option to grub.conf
> elevator=deadline
> or
> elevator=cfq

 or you can change the running scheduler w/o rebooting by doing
   echo deadline > /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler

 For latency, I'd run the latest 2.6.13 (it's .2 now).
 2.6.12 had some bugs in its rlimits code that's fixed in 13.
 Also make sure you have the patched PAM and an adusted
 /etc/security/limits.conf to make proper use of rlimits.

 - Peder