[linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

Antonio debian at fastwebnet.it
Wed Sep 28 13:23:25 EDT 2005

Hi to the list,

I've a problem starting jackd from a a normal user. I'm on debian
testing and even using non-realtime mode I got this message:

  $ jackd -dalsa
  jackd 0.100.0
  Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
  jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

  cannot create /dev/shm/jack-1000 directory (Permission denied)

  cannot create server sockets
  cannot create engine
  $ _

As you see I've jackd 0.100 (in testing there is 0.80) because after
seeng this problem I've upgraded to the unstable version, but I have the
same problem. I've tried both with my own kernel and with the debian
binary kernel (both are 2.6.12). From root jackd works perfectly.

This evening I'm going to try to compile 2.6.13, I will report any news.

Thanks for any answer.

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio