[linux-audio-user] latency: video card contribution

Dmitry S. Baikov c0ff at konstruktiv.org
Wed Sep 28 17:01:48 EDT 2005

>  Shared memory is not the highest performance alternative in any
> operating system. When the video memory is part of system memory then
> the processor the video controller fight for memory bandwidth. This
> slows both down.
>

>> So, the question is: what to choose, integrated intel solution or
>> ati/nvidia one (in this case, nvidia is preferred, because of driver
>> quality).
>>

> Choose a good controller with a bit of dedicated video memory. For
> purely audio apps you don't need all that much, but if you're going to
> run video apps or do multimedia stuff then you'll want more.

It's hard to find light laptop with dedicated controller at a reasonable
price :)
Is it possible to do 8in/8out and 64-sample buffers with RME Multiface
CardBus on a laptop with shared video memory?

And the only one(and expensive one) I found is with nvidia controller
(Sony Vaio VGN-S480). Not sure about nv TurboCache - is it a shared
memory solution?

Seems i want too much to be in one unit.