[linux-audio-user] I/O scheduler for 2.6 kernel

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:04:05 EDT 2005

On 9/28/05, Peder Hedlund <peder at musikhuset.org> wrote:

> > You can try each one (I think) by adding a boot time option to grub.conf
> > elevator=deadline
> > or
> > elevator=cfq
>
>  or you can change the running scheduler w/o rebooting by doing
>    echo deadline > /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler
>
>  For latency, I'd run the latest 2.6.13 (it's .2 now).
>  2.6.12 had some bugs in its rlimits code that's fixed in 13.
>  Also make sure you have the patched PAM and an adusted
>  /etc/security/limits.conf to make proper use of rlimits.
>
>  - Peder

Peder,
   Interesting. Thanks.

   This method allows you to change the scheduler for an individual
drive. I presume that my method changes the default scheduler for
everything, but I have not tested that.

   One thing that seems to not exist in ck-sources that I used
successfully in one of the kernels I ran that has Ingo's stuff in it
was the ability to set certain ISRs to threaded or non-threaded
operation. I used to echo a 1 or 0 to /proc/irq/5/hdsp (or something
like that) and this would make the ISR threaded or non-threaded.

   Soes naythign like this exist in ck-sources?

Thanks,
Mark