[linux-audio-user] RME Hammerfall 9636 - troubleshooting

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Thu Sep 29 04:00:43 EDT 2005

Thanks also for the prompt reply Paul!

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 21:26 +0100, Michael T D Nelson wrote:
>
>>I bought a cheap second-hand RME Hammerfall 9636 recently, in the
>>knowledge that it was untested.
>
> first step, pull the card, look for a small chip that will say either
> "W36" or "M36". find out which one it is.
>
> i (yes, even i!) had problems with this when accidentally using a 9636
> with the little-endian EPROM ("W36") on a big-endian machine (a mac).

I'll do this later, when I've got some work done...

This does sound as though it might be the cause of my problem. The card
*was* previously in a Mac - I asked on this list earlier whether it
would be compatible, and someone said it was. I probably wasn't very clear.

Is that the chip that sits in a slot on the card? Is it an EPROM that I
can get hold of and replace myself? I seem to remember seeing chips for
RME cards labelled with different revisions on eBay...

>>I've plugged the card in, and run alsaconf. I can start jack with
>>qjackctl, and connect my audio applications to all of the cards inputs
>>and outputs, and so on.
>>
>>I have a Behringer ADA8000 connected to the first lightpipe output.
>
> how are you sharing the sample clock between the two? hdspconf is the
> app to manage this ...

Like Mark, I thought that hdspconf was just for the newer HDSP cards.
This is a Hammerfall Light 9636. Are we wrong?

At the moment, I'm either setting the switch on the ADA8000 to 'Master',
or to 'Slave: ADAT in'. On either setting, the 'Sync locked' light on
the ADA8000 turns on.

Thanks
Michael