[linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

Antonio debian at fastwebnet.it
Thu Sep 29 07:37:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 12:58 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
[cut]
>  In Mandrake /dev/shm is mounted by /etc/rc.sysinit :
>    mount -n -t tmpfs  none /dev/shm
>  after it has mounted devpts.
>  I guess you could have it mounted either way (but not both).
>  Do you have a fstab entry and if so, what does it look like?

I had no fstab entry for shm in my debian etch (testing) system.
So /dev/shm had wrong permission. I don't now if this is a bug in the
jackd pachage. However, if I do one of these three things I get the
right permission so jack can start from normal user:

1) Add to fstab:
shm  /dev/shm  tmpfs  nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0

2) manually mont shm with:
# mount -t tmpfs shm /dev/shm

3) change the permissions:
# chomd a+rwx /dev/shm

So use 1) for now (as suggested by Mark previously). Is this the best
solution on debian? (Not that I don't trust Mark, but only to ask if
debian has a specific behaviour here).

[OT]
I don't have a devpts entry in fstab, should debian must have one?
(infact I currently have to manually mount devpts to open a subshell,
for example CRTL+O in mc).
[/OT]

Thanks again.

Best Regards,