[linux-audio-user] first remix on remix.linux

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Thu Sep 29 08:47:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep, 2005 at 09:35AM +1000, Shayne O'Connor spake thus:

> >And now, since you stuck your neck out first, I don't feel so bad
> >posting my remix of your "the sailor" track.
> >
> >http://remix.machinehasnoagenda.com/media/files/james/10
> >
> >I hope you don't mind too much about what it turned into.
>
> i LOVE this.

Haha, thanks.  I thought you'd hate what I'd done to it.

> i swear, when the organ and distorted guitar kick in ...
>
> it sounds good this fast - even my voice ... this emphasised a lot of
> the quirky good bits of the song, and even let me see it in a new light
> ... really wierd. you *energized* this ...

That's one way to look at it.  I think I pushed it towards meaningless
pop trash, but there you go.  I love the original.

> man, what you did with the organ and guitar is perfect! (btw - is that
> my guitar with effects/filters, or is it zynaddsubfx?)

It's (almost) all you.  The only parts that are not from the original
are the beat and the climbing synth that makes a short appearance
because I'm too lazy to do a crescendo/climax in any other way.

The awkward part was chopping out parts of the guitar and filling it
back in with reverb.  Speeded up, and with my all too regular drum
pattern, your great guitar parts didn't want to fit.  You'll notice
that there are only half the notes at the end of one particular guitar
sequence.  It's a shame, because I like the sound of it in the
original.

> shayne

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)