[linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:41:20 EDT 2005

On 9/29/05, David <dplist at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:37:26 +0200
> Antonio <debian at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>
> > [OT]
> > I don't have a devpts entry in fstab, should debian must have one?
> > (infact I currently have to manually mount devpts to open a subshell,
> > for example CRTL+O in mc).
> > [/OT]
>
> On my Debian testing, /dev/pts and /dev/shm are both mounted
> by /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs, that is called during the single user part
> of the boot sequence. No need for an fstab entry.
>
> I don't know why it isn't so on your system.

I don't know anything about Debian, but the fact that it's being
mounted by mountvirtfs means that it's not 'automaticly done',
correct? File systems can be mounted even if they aren't in fstab, but
shm isn't done automatically as someone suggested earlier.

Since my Gentoo systems don't have this mountvirtfs script it doesn't
happen on my box.

Or so I think... ;-)

- Mark