[linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

Antonio debian at fastwebnet.it
Fri Sep 30 09:28:05 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 07:47 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On debian sarge /dev/shm is mounted by /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs
>
> ls -la /etc/rcS.d/S02mountvirtfs
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root 21 Jun 19  2004 /etc/rcS.d/S02mountvirtfs -> ../init.d/mountvirtfs
>
> I have no /dev/shm entry in /etc/fstab and /dev/shm looks like this:
>
> eric at audiobox:~$ ls -la /dev/shm/
> total 24
> drwxrwxrwt   4 root root    80 Aug 28 17:56 .
> drwxr-xr-x  14 root root 24576 Aug 28 17:52 ..
> drwx------   3 eric eric    60 Aug 28 17:56 jack-1000
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    60 Aug 28 17:50 network
>

> I don't have an etch system handy to check, but would expect it to be
> the same there.

Yes, this is the right behaviour in etch and sid too. Now I have
understanded that my problem is related to the fact that mountvirtfs
doesn't mount shm and devpts when it is called on boot. I don't know
why, I'm investigating this. However if I manually stop the service
mountvirtfs and start it again shm and devpts are mounted and with the
right permissions.

I'll report any news on this.

Thanks to all have answered, you were all very helpful ;-).

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio