[linux-audio-user] A New Tune

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 10:54:49 EDT 2005

Conor O'Tuama wrote:
> Hi  :-)  Seeing as everybody else appears to be getting the tunes out
> there, I thought I might as well bite the bullet......hope somebody
> likes it ;-) It is an initial mix, rough about the edges.
>
> http://homepage.eircom.net/~conorotuama/time_til_i_die.ogg
> Copyright 2005 Conor O'Tuama
>
> Cheers ! (recorded in Slackware Linux, using Ardour and various other
> bits 'n' bobs)

Very good job.

The production sounds at least semi-pro. Definitely good enough for an
impressive demo or independent release.

Maybe it's partly because the song is fairly simple, but well-executed.
That's probably an important lesson for me to learn...

It reminds me a lot of Nick Harper (son of Roy Harper), who makes some
really nicely produced songs. I expect you're not surprised by the
comparison? It's definitely meant to be flattering. If you don't know
his music, then I'm pretty sure you'd like it.

I think that most people would put more reverb on the vocals. However,
personally I *really* like the dry sound - if you have a voice good
enough to put your trust in, then make the most of it! Some of Nick
Harper's recordings sound really intimate because of this...

If I were you, this is what I'd think about in future recordings/mixes
in this style...

Use plenty of nice reverb on everything but vocals and bass. Leave the
vocals and bass dry and clear.

[Please take into account the fact that I'm using really cheap computer
speakers at the moment - so my opinions about the production should be
taken with a grain of salt...]

Pay lots of attention to the sounds of each instrument. Make them sound
good next to each other. I like the guitar feedback.

I can't hear much bass. I *need* better speakers - I can't even tell if
it's because there is none, or because my speakers aren't reproducing
it. I think that some bass guitar in the same style as on Nick Harper's
'Two Way Thing' might help?

I hope I haven't rambled too much,
Michael Nelson