[linux-audio-user] ANN: hearnet 0.0.4--Don't Paniq

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Sep 30 16:48:23 EDT 2005

Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> writes:

> Leonard paniq Ritter sent me a nifty patch for hearnet some time ago. I
> really dig it, and I finally got around to incorporating the patch and
> releasing a new version. Here's what paniq has to say about it:
>
>     changed code so that it uses 32-voice polyphony and plays bridges /
>     chromatic orders.
>
>     as an effect, you get very harmonic sounds if packet sizes on a site
>     are the same, and quite weird stuff if packet sizes vary.
>
> Go get it and see how much cooler it sounds!
>
> http://hans.fugal.net/src/hearnet

Thanks again for the inspiration, I rewrote it as a SuperCollider3
client, so now I can run schearnet whereever I want without having to
run jack and a soundcard on that box.  In real life, that means I
am running schearnet on my 62 BogoMIPS ARM router and have it
send UDP packets on the LAN interface to my workstation which runs
SuperCollider (and also JACK of course) while monitoring the WAN interface.
As a added benefit, the SynthDef "hearnet" can be redefined at runtime while
schearnet is doing its job, so I can even experiment with the grain envelope
and so on while the whole thing is going.

Grab it here: http://delysid.org/schearnet.html

BTW, if the remote machine you want to run schearnet on has only one
network interface, by default, schearnet will capture its own output traffic
which results in a high-pitched noise :-).  To prevent this, use
the filter expression, so for example, if you run schearnet
on a box and the SuperCollider server is on 172.23.1.32 you could do:

schearnet eth0 172.23.1.32 "not (dst host 172.23.1.32 and udp dst port 57110)"

P.S.: Soooo, who knows how to easily decode a IP packets protocol
number?  Wouldnt it be sweet to have a separate instrument for
each protocol?
--
CYa,
  Mario