[linux-audio-user] jackd: too many servers already active

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 19:15:35 EDT 2005

Ken Schutte wrote:
> I used to have jack working fine on my system, but lately strange things
> have been happening.  Right now when I try:
>   jackd -v -d alsa
> I get,
>   too many servers already active
>
> I've also tried different variations on this (-R, etc), and using
> qjackctl.  I can't find any other jack processes ("ps aux | grep jack"
> shows nothing).  I get the same thing right after rebooting.  Alsa seems
> to be working (aplay, etc).  Can anyone give some advice?

I had a similar problem before - I think it happened after my machine
had been powered off without shutting down (not my fault!)

I solved the problem by deleting a pair of temporary jack files
somewhere, and then rebooting.

I think they are jack buffer files. Try to do a 'locate fifo'.

I'll have a look for them in the morning and post back.

Michael